Aloha! Welcome back to The Sunshine Suitcase. We’re so happy you made it to our page. I do a lifestyle recap of what I enjoyed each month. This acts as a mindful exercise to practice gratitude. And it also serves as a personal way for me to check in with all of you. So,
At the end of April, I worked with my doctor and therapist to balance out my meds. I have MDD and GAD. Thus, mental health is very important to me. And May is Mental Health Awareness Month too! I’m happy to say that this change in medication has allowed me to find a happier and healthier me, who I haven’t seen in a while.
I won’t go into too much detail about my personal mental health, but I think this medication change has been detrimental in helping me progress in both my personal and professional life. I also talk a lot about mental health because ending the stigma is important to me!
May was an exciting month, where I spent a lot of time outside and on the water. I went swimming and scuba diving several times. And fishing was a regular activity. Any time I spend on or in the ocean is time well spent.
Additionally, I headed to Australia on the 27th of the month and am having a blast thus far!
Recap of Things I Enjoyed in May
- We spent a lot of time out on the boat this month. We caught so many fish and it was amazing to be able to get outside and enjoy the ocean!
- Spring Cleaning has commenced! I was able to organize my closet, bookshelves, pantry and more! My house feels so clean and tidy. I love the impact it has on my mental health.
- Got in the water more than I have in a few months.
- Took a day trip to a cafe to work from somewhere other than home. And got so much done! Definitely going to try to keep this up!
- Australia! I’m heading down undah!
Blog Posts that were popular in May
- 10 Fun Journal Prompts for Summer
- 30 Awesome Mental Health Quotes to Fight Stigma
- Guide to Maui’s Road to Hana
This Month I loved:
Watching: Bonding on Netflix
This no holds barred hilarious show takes a look at the BDSM scene in New York from the eyes of a young dominatrix with her newly hired (dear old friend) as a bodyguard. It is hilarious, raw, and over the top. My cheeks were red the whole season as I binge-watched it all. Don’t worry, it’s only 6 episodes. And although a tad cringe-worthy it’s definitely a fun and memorable show!
Drinking: Truly Hard Seltzer in Mango
I love to enjoy a cold beverage or two while out on the boat! But, those couple of fancy beers were really starting to pack on the calories. I’ve been in love with Bubly seltzer water for a while, so I gave these a try. Only 2g carbs and 100 calories each, they are delicious, bubbly and hydrating. They also don’t make me bloat like a traditional beer. I got a variety pack from Costco but loved the mango flavor the most. And grapefruit was a close second!
Wearing: This Adorable Amazon Swim Suit
Plus-Size Swimwear can often be outdated looking. But, I found a swimsuit on Amazon that I am in love with. I’ve been hesitant to try out a high waisted bikini but in an attempt to show myself more self-love and respect I gave this one a go! I loved the fit and overall quality of it. This lined swimsuit is adorable and dries quickly.
One word of advice. It runs small. I ordered a 3XL (based on the size guide) and found it to be pretty snug. The top is really small, luckily I’m pretty small chested. However, for my ladies who are larger chested I definitely recommend going up a size! But for only $20 you can’t go wrong!
And these fun floral finds from Forever 21
For under $5 each, I was able to snag 3 different gorgeous hair accessories for summer. Nothing makes me feel more Instagram ready than cute hair. The prints and colors available were amazing. There was such a wide variety! I chose one each in yellow, green, and ivory for a wide range of choices to match my wardrobe.
May Self-Care Routine:
- In May, I practiced Self-Care by getting outside for at least 5 min. a day. It can be hard to prioritize leaving your home when you work there. But, it can really
affect my mental health to stay cooped up inside.
- I headed to bed early! I set a bedtime for myself of midnight at the latest all month and usually started to get sleepy by 11 pm. The difference was amazing. I had more energy and focus throughout the day.
- I fell while out on the boat this month. And pulled a muscle in my leg. One of my big self-care takeaway’s was to REST. I didn’t push myself to get better too quickly. My treatment consisted of rest, CBD oil, and peppermint oil. Also, I iced my knee and stretched throughout the day. Being gentle on my body was hard. But, taking that time was necessary and allowed me to recuperate faster.
What’s Coming up in June :
We’ll be in Australia until June 10th! I’m so excited to visit Sydney and Queensland. We’ll be snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef and visiting some rainforests and national parks while there. I can’t wait to share our travels with you on the blog!
And we’re having a special guest of honor visit us in Hawaii at the end of the month! I love having visitors and showing them my island home.
June Blog Post Sneak Peeks-
In June, you can catch some great posts about our trip to Australia. I’ll be going over what I loved, what I didn’t, and what I brought along for the adventure!
As well as some great tips on self-care for summer, reef safe sunscreen brands I love, and more!
See Our Progress with Past Reviews
- 3 Things I loved in April
- April Income Report
- March Income Report
- What I loved in March
- Our First Ever Income Report