DIY Hand Sanitizer Spray is easy to make, easy to use, and just as effective as store bought hand sanitizers. Germs are everywhere. And the truth is, they’re hard to avoid. In order to stay healthy and fight bacteria and viruses it’s important to wash our hands, disinfect surfaces, and avoid person to person contact.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
It can be hard to stay on top of all of these things. Especially as we go about our day. One of the things I find hardest is washing my hands and touching surfaces when I’m on the go. Some stores offer disinfectant wipes for carts, but they’re not always full and stores often run out.
This sanitizer spray is easy for on the go. I’ve taken it with me to sanitize my hands, carts, airplane trays, you name it. This dries quickly and works very well to disinfect.
DIY Hand Sanitizer Spray Ingredients
- 2 Ounces Brown Glass Sprayer Bottle
- 1 oz 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol)
- 8 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 6 Drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Distilled/Filtered Water
The Active Ingredients
Rubbing Alcohol has been widely used as a disinfectant for a very long time. It’s used in both home and hospital settings. And is widely available from your local pharmacy or shopping market. It’s also very inexpensive so it’s the main active ingredient in this recipe.
According to information from the CDC a hand sanitizer that is more than 60% alcohol based can help prevent the spread of Corona Virus or (COVID-19). We dilute our alcohol in this recipe to make it approximately 65% alcohol based.
These pure plant based oils add fragrance and botanical essences to the hand sanitizer spray.
Lavandula angustifolia or Lavender is a calming botanical. It is widely used in aromatherapy to create calm and instill a sense of peace. Lavender Oil is also anti-inflammatory and great for your skin. This oil gives our hand sanitizer spray a delightful scent while nourishing our hands.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil or melaleuca comes from Australia and has been used as a natural medicine by the Aboriginal people for centuries. It’s both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Thus, making Tea Tree Oil the perfect addition to this spray.
- In the clean brown glass sprayer bottle add roughly one ounce of Isopropyl alcohol. Pour the alcohol into the bottle until it is 3/4 Full.
- Add each essential oil slowly, make sure to count each drop.
- Next, fill the bottle to the top with distilled water (leave some space at the top). Add the sprayer cap and shake it gently.
- Prime the sprayer a few times in the air before applying the spray on your hands the first time. After that just give the bottle a gentle shake before each use.
This is one of the easiest DIY’s you can do and will help to keep you and your family healthy during cold and flu season.