Did you feel like April drug you through the mud? I did. April was a difficult month for me. Although it’s the month of mine and my partner Nick’s birthdays which are happy moments, this month holds some sadness for me.
Last year on April 26th, my father passed away from a battle with heart disease. I miss him terribly and his passing has greatly affected my mental health. In many ways, it has inspired me. However, in some way, his passing increased my depression and anxiety symptoms.
I took several days off from everything to recuperate. Sometimes a little self-care goes a long way. And, I started to feel better and more energized at the end of the month. Although it felt like a very sad and sometimes hopeless month, there were several moments that were absolutely wonderful.
Recap of Things I Enjoyed in April:
- Had a nice chill birthday
- Went Axe Throwing at Blade & Timber
- Went Fishing Under the Full Moon
- Celebrated Nick’s Birthday on the boat
Blog Posts that were popular in April:
This Month I loved:
- Kiss ImPRESS Manicures- This 5 Minute Manicure has changed my life. I love how easy they are to apply. They last for about 10 days. And come in a variety of styles and colors. I bought 1 pair and loved them so much I went back and got 3 more. For just $8 a pop, these nails are much cheaper than my normal gel manicure and last just as long.
- The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina- Season 2. I’m in love with Sabrina (which you may remember from last months review, lol.) The show is dark and vibrant. The acting got better in season 2. This dark and witchy take on Sabrina the Teenage Witch is amazing.
- My Weighted Blanket for Anxiety- For my birthday this year, I bought myself a present! I purchased a weighted blanket. I’ve heard they do wonders for people with anxiety. Although it’s a little too hot to sleep with every night, I love using my weighted blanket throughout the day. Whenever I need a little focus I wrap the blanket around myself. When I meditate, l lie in bed under the blanket and the weight helps me to focus and clear my mind. It has been a great comfort to me. I even loaned my blanket to my roommate to try and we both agree it’s amazing.
April Self-Care Routine:
- Daily Oracle or Tarot Card Pull for Guidance- A daily card pull gave me some much needed time with my spirituality. I was able to ask some important questions, and used the answers to deepen my understanding. Even if, you’re not spiritual I find oracle and tarot card decks helpful. They remind me to take time out of my day for me. Also, they allow me to do something (i,e. shuffle and draw a card for an answer) in situations I feel powerless in.
- Journaling- I journaled over 20 days this month. Some days I would only write 1 page. Other days I could write 5 pages. I didn’t follow any journal prompts this month. I practiced a stream of consciousness morning page routine. See blogger Lavendaire’s post on morning pages for more info.
- Lastly, I practiced Self-Care by creating a personalized Self-Care Tool Kit to made
pracitcingself-care an easier part of my routine.
What’s Coming up in May:
May is a month for creating content. I was really bad at creating content for the blog this month. I really struggled with depression and anxiety this month.
In May, my goal is to shift my focus on producing more high-quality work. As well as working to add more activity and fitness to my daily schedule. I haven’t been very good at
May Blog Post Sneak Peeks-
In May, you can catch my Visitors Guide for the Road to Hana on Maui. I am also doing a review on Fabletics brand plus size leggings which I ordered this month.
At the end of May, we’re heading to Australia for a few weeks. I am so excited to head down under. I’ve always wanted to visit the Great Barrier Reef and see a kangaroo. Those are bucket list items for me. So, I’m getting super excited for the trip.